Thursday, October 18, 2007

Winning :)

If you live in the United States and watch television, then you know Donald Trump. He is a business man, yes, but he is as famous as a Hollywood star. His show "The Apprentice" must have been a big factor in his becoming a star. I believe he represents a better model of being star. The model of success through intelligence, hard (passionate) work, personal branding, knowledge (continuous learning), and common sense.

Once familiar with the show, I started to look for Donalds' books. I do declare that I like him very much as a writer. This fact only proves my belief about success: truly successful individuals, in any field, seem to always have a solid intellectual ground. After all, every human has exactly the same form of material manifestation in the world: one anatomy, one body. What we have up there makes all the difference: vague things that reside in our chest, and in our head! When I started this blog, I posted my selected quotes of the following books by Donald Trump, check them out: How to Get Rich, and The Way to The Top. I will post my quotes of his other books soon, insha'Allah (God willing, in Arabic).

Well, I am from Egypt. Trump is not a famous name there. So I knew nothing about him in my first years in the country. Until I met "The Apprentice" on TV. I think the first time I saw the show was in its second season. I am only an occasional TV watcher, but this show captivated me, and it soon became my favorite. May be it's my business sense. I gradually came to like business. However my interest in business didn't start early in my life. I grew up in a business environment. My family had a ready-made clothes factory, established by my elder brother, who created this business while he was in medical school. He truly is a multi-talented entrepreneur, and I always believed that if he had come to a business-friendly country like the US early in his life, he would have been a billionaire by now. Even my mother, who has, all her live, been a housewife, never working outside her home, was very involved in the business. Growing up with business all around me, I didn't really like it. I was more interested in intellectual pursuits. I never even liked to read about business. May be I didn't like the fact that all my brothers went into the family business. I didn't want to do something unless it's genuine and of true personal meaning to me. I didn't want to be a slave of money. I, as a human being, as a creature of the greatest Creator, am ABOVE money. I can have it as a tool, but I won't work for it.

Then something changed. May be it was in my genes, hidden there til the time comes. My first personal, or face to face experience with business came my way when I was in my last year of college, studying French literature and translation. One of my professors approached me and asked if I a good Internet user. I wasn't even a bad one! I had never used it at the time. My professor said that she, along with two other partners, were interested in establishing a translation company, and they wanted me aboard. I was a unique student in the institution at the time (in a good way), which is another story. That's probably why they chose me.

I immediately accepted. I knew nothing about the business. But I loved the people I was working with, and I was very appreciated in return. In the spirit of a team, exploring and learning about a world unfamiliar to us, everyone took charge of what they knew best. Well, what I knew best was to learn what I didn't know! And to become an expert shortly after. I didn't think of what I was doing as a business. I just did it, but I didn't name it. When I look back, I see that as a revealing of the entrepreneur in me.

See where the chain of thoughts took me! I started this post with the intention of writing a "brief" post about MY WINNING. You still don't even know what I won! I am going to tell you very, very shortly.

Back to Donald Trump. Well, I didn't win The Apprentice, otherwise this would have been already known all over the nation! Not that I don't qualify for it, I know I do. I even qualify for much, much higher things. But my winning is related to Trump... University. Yes, Trump University.

Shortly after I discovered Trump Blog, a contest was advertised: readers were asked to post their questions to Donald Trump, restricting their questions to "success-related topics about personal achievement, real estate investing and entrepreneurship."

I did post one entry, with three questions. I don't know yet which question of mine was selected by Donald Trump. I've been checking the blog for news about the winners. I had a feeling that I could win. I knew there were hundreds of other entries, but I thought that my questions were well to the point. However, I wasn't sure. When I saw the post about the winners tonight, my name was eight on the list. As I was quickly getting to the end of the list, without seeing my name, I expected that it wasn't going to be there anyway. May be after five years of struggling as an immigrant, five years of suffering from not being able to live up to my potential, I sort of got used to losing. I was used to winning back in my home country. My immigration experience taught me that I was wrong when I took it for granted. I won't say that I wasn't prepared for that, I did leave my comfort zone to put myself in difficult circumstances. I saw it as a means to build my character, and to teach me more about the truths of life and of living.

I won a free course offered by TU. A new and different chance of learning. The ability to learn is a blessing. I am grateful to God for giving me a mind capable of understanding, and the resources necessary to find knowledge.

See my name among the winners in Trump Blog

"O my Lord! advance me in knowledge."
Quran: Chapter 20, Verse 114

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Shedou,

I am the editor of the Donald Trump Blog, and part of the committee that chose your question as a winner. Congratulations! There were 564 questions and, in my opinion, yours was among the two or three most interesting. I am now even more excited to see your fascinating blogs.
If you have not yet received an email regarding your win, could you please contact me at: blenson@trumpuniversity.com?
I am thrilled that you are a winner. Congratulations again,
Barry Lenson
(Executive Editor, Trump University)